Thursday, May 13, 2010

RIP FRANK FRAZETTA

Frank Frazetta Mad Monster Party

So I’d been wracking my brain the past few days going through some old funny animal comics as well as a collection of same, searching for some good examples of horror-comedy cartooning from legendary artist Frank Frazetta, who died earlier this week.

(Just how legendary was Frazetta? If you're not in the know, I'll leave it to you to Google/Wiki/Bing/Yahoo/Dogpile/etc. him)...

When I failed to turn up anything that might be appropriate to our topic at hand, I turned to ye olde search engine and lo and behold, what did I find? I found that Frazetta did the above movie poster art for one of our all-time faves, “Mad Monster Party.” Not Jack Davis as I had previously (erroneously) reported.

But wait, there’s more…

But before I get to that more, note that this is the second “Mad Monster Party”-related obit I’ve posted in less than a month. You can read my piece on the late Allen Swift, who voiced most of the characters in the film by clicking here. And if you want to read my review of the film, just click here.

So, back to the more: I hadn’t realized this but not only had Frazetta illustrated that wonderful movie poster above, but he also painted… in full color… this glorious image of the “Mad Monster Party” crew below. It was a proposed (but never used) one-sheet poster created at the time of the film's original release. It was recently published in the book "Legacy," a collection of Frazetta art edited by Arnie and Cathy Fenner.

I can’t think of a more fitting “Scared Silly” tribute than to post it here for all of you to see… can you?

Frank Frazetta Mad Monster Party

No comments:

Post a Comment